Commonwealth Transitions LLC is located in one of the oldest remaining row houses in the Historic Court Square section of Downtown Charlottesville.
When the original structure was constructed in 1830 by Harden Massie, the space currently occupied by Commonwealth Transitions LLC was a carriage passage between the two original row houses.
In 1870 F.H. Wills transformed the carriage passage into a garden level apartment zoned for both commercial and residential use.
The interior retains much of the origin woodwork including Jeffersonian mantles, heart pine flooring and six panel doors.
Throughout most of the late 19th century the space currently occupied by Commonwealth Transitions LLC was know as the once popular gift shop known as “The 213 Shop”.